If you are seeking extra income and prefer not to drive people, then delivering food and packages might be what you seek. You can use a bike or a car,and there are several services available that will provide you with good income. Just note, then you can drive for more than one service, so don’t limit yourself to just one, and plan your week based on saturation times, when driving for each one at specific times will increase your aggregate income.
Let’s look at the five-main services; they are Postmates, UberEats, DoorDash, GrubHub and Amazon Flex (or Prime). The main difference between these five services is that Amazon is about collecting packages from a central warehouse and delivering them within a specified time limit, all the rest are delivery by order, and as such, you need to know where to park between deliveries to maximize your income.
There are some general application similarities between all the services, these are
- The applicant is 18 years or older (19 for UberEats)
- Has a vehicle or bicycle, car, truck, motorcycle, or scooter
- Owns an iPhone or Android smartphone
- Valid US Driver’s license
- Insurance card with a name on the policy
- A social security number (background check)
- Pass the background and driving record check
- Pass an orientation interview online or in person
Postmatesspecializes in delivering small items from stores and shops such as office supplies and snacks as well as food deliveries from restaurants. The Postmates process is easy. All you need to do is open the app and waiting for delivery requests to come in. There is no shift or scheduled work. You get a Postmates credit card that is used to pay for the orders.
Postmates Drivers Income
- You get paid a flat fee for an additional fee per minute and a calculated fee per mile between the pickup and drop-off destinations.
- You get all the tip from a customer through the app after the delivery has been completed.
- Postmates offers an hourly bonus for drivers that accept all the requests within an hour.
- Peak hours, known as Blitz pricing gives a higher rate during peak hours of the day.
- Your income is paid after four to seven days.
- The average income per hour is around $8.00 to $15.00.
DoorDash is also a food delivery service. The DoorDash process is quite simple. You open the app and start to receive requests. The main difference betweenDoorDash andthe rest is thatyou must prepare a schedule six-day ahead. In most instances, the customer places an order with the restaurant, and you collect it. Sometimes the order is in the app, and you must place it in the restaurant and pay for it with the DoorDash Red credit card. Sometimes DoorDash will place the order,andyou only need to pay for.In general, you will have to select your area of work one hour before a shift starts.
DoorDash Drivers Income
- You get paid a flat fee only of around $6.00 to $8.00 per delivery.
- You get all the tips through the app after the delivery has been completed.
- You get paid on a weekly basis.
UberEats is the Uber app for food delivery if you are an UberX driver you can automatically add the UberEats category for deliveries. If not, then you need to apply. Driving for UberEats is like driving for DoorDash but without the credit card. UberEats will send you a request to pick up an order that was placed through the app, all you need to do is pick it up and deliver it.
UberEats Drivers Income
- You get paid a Pickup Fee + distance of the ride + drop off fee.
- Uber takes their usual 25% service fee.
- The expected income is around $8 to $12 per hour.
GrubHub is a food delivery service much the same as UberEats. GrubHub drivers earn around $16 an hour on an average day. I will not go into too much detail since the service and how it operates is quite standard. You get their app, receive an order request, pick it up and deliver it. You also get to keep the tips.
Amazon Flex is different to the others in that it requires you to come to a central warehouse, pick up a “block” of packages that are prepared ahead of time, and you then have 3-4 hours to deliver all your packages. The base pay is $18 per hours, and this can increase to $25 per hour dependent on saturation and urgency of delivery. However, there are no tips on Amazon Flex.
Amazon Prime Now
Amazon Prime Now is the flex on steroids. Basically, it is an express service for customers that are promised deliveries on the same day. The pay is better than Flex, and the drivers get tips.
Author Info: Bikram Bhangoo is the co-founder of Ridesharing Forum who helps rideshare drivers and riders to find answers to their most pressing questions. With over 5 years of experience, Bikram brings a vast amount of knowledge, style, and skills to help fellow drivers. He has given over 10,000 rides with Uber and more than 3,500 rides with Lyft.